Clever justification

My sister lives in Germany. She is currently in the talks of opening up her apartment to a Syrian refugee. She's got a great heart, a beautiful place, and a good community to help support herself and those she is planning to house.

Today, I read a statement from Islamic State in which they proclaim to have infiltrated Europe with over 4000 rebels smuggled in under the guise of being refugees. So, as I'm prone to being immediately suspicious and in fear of everything, I have concerns for my sister.

Islamic State is brilliant, their tactics have proven effective, as can be discerned from their growing influence in the region, not to mention their numbers. This last statement is no less clever. There really is no way for me to know if the statement is a bluff or not. If it's true, it makes sense as a strategic move to 'piggy-back' the people who need serious help to infiltrate their enemy's nations. It would be wise of them to do such a thing.

On the other hand, if it's a bluff, it's just as clever. The statement, in and of itself, is designed to create suspicion and fear in the countries allowing refugees in. This will cause these well meaning nations and people to be all the more weary and distrusting of the already displaced and distraught Syrian refugees, complicating the problems they face, and working to cause division. The statement, which takes very little effort on the part of Islamic State to make, is easily effective at promoting fear.

Clever.

That being said, we cannot allow ourselves to be prisoners of fear. My sister, a smart attractive woman, could be in real danger... but to allow that to stop her from aiding a family who's already lost everything they own would be a tragedy.
So she takes a risk.
She's a brave person, and I support and applaud the risk she's taking... can't say that I'd have the same conviction to do such a thing if I was in her place.

I do find myself keeping track of Islamic State, as well as the rise of Islam in many nations. For example, in Belgium. The demographics are gradually changing, as muslim families (by and large) have many children. By the simple factor of outbreeding the 'native' Belgians, they will upset and usurp the current social function.

Here in the west, I often hear people discuss how their decision to not have children is a righteous humanitarian attitude; they choose not to add to the over population of the planet. Yet, those leaders who would impose different laws on us, such as sharia law, have no such hangups about humanitarian/eco-conscious agendas. It is a boon to them that westerners, atheists, and 'people of the book' are averse to procreation and multiplication. I imagine it sits very well with them.

Islamic State holds itself to a higher power, namely Allah. The ISIS flag has the name of Allah inscribed upon it, which makes it a faux pas to destroy the flag, as by doing so one would be desecrating the written name of Allah.
Another example of how clever the leaders of Islamic State are.

My understanding of the mind frame of sharia law, is that Allah (the creator of all things) has a perfect law, and we can submit or be destroyed. It makes sense that if Allah is all powerful that to submit to his will should be a given. Who wants to stand in the face of he who made everything? How could you ever expect to win? So, if I truly believed that, would it not make perfect sense for me to sacrifice everything and everyone to bring about the god's perfect law? What if I don't agree with it? Or worse, what if it works very well for me because it justifies all of my actions that are otherwise against social norms and laws?

Never underestimate justification. Man will rationalize and justify all of his actions in order to have peace of mind, and to continue on as he would like to. For example, if I decide to turn my back on someone who has asked for help, I could justify it by finding something to deride that person for (drinking, drug abuse, acting abusively, owing me money, etc.) If I turn my back on them, they are not helped. But if I can find a good justification for turning my back on them then I will, because then I can ignore the issue. I absolve myself of any responsibility. 'It's their own fault. I can't help them'.

oooh, I like that! Now I can continue to live as I like with no moral issue. I've justified myself, and therefor am free of guilt. If that person who asked for help is still in trouble, well, it's their own damn fault. Not my problem.

Right?

Comments