What's in a name?

A good name is better than riches.

Your name, in this sense, is your reputation. Reputation precedes you - for better or worse! It's not uncommon for people to use a new name when they move. This is usually done in order to get a new shot at life; to start again with a blank slate; to remove oneself from their past... I have a friend who is currently making a name for himself - and by that I mean to say he is changing his name, and going through the process of deciding what to be called.

Mahbubul, this one's for you.



My name is Adam Zadok Shettler. I've switched between identifying myself as Adam or Zadok periodically throughout my life, and have indefinitely settled on Zadok. I don't see that changing anytime soon, unless I find the need to hide my identity!

For a long time I've thought of Adam as my incognito name. Zadok has a deeper story behind it. It's a biblical name that means "righteous", or "just", but what makes it more personally intense is that my father felt that the spirit of the living God was compelling him to name me so. My parents always told me there was something important that I had to do, and the name is a symbol of that. As a result, every time that I hear the name Zadok it's a reminder of my responsibility to things that are much bigger than myself.

(*There's plenty more to that story - but it will have to wait for another article.)

So what does that name do to my psyche that's different from being referred to as Adam? Well, there's the obvious fact that it sounds totally outlandish and people often ask if I'm from Mars; there's the part that I just mentioned about how it's a constant reminder of my namesake and responsibility; and then there's the sonic characteristics of the actual letters themselves.

Sound is the basis of form and shape. The work done by Hans Jenny (called cymatics) in the 1960's gave light to the mathematical principles of sound waves. Using any fluid medium, such as oil or sand, when vibrated by different frequencies will form different shapes.



Frequencies themselves create different shapes and patterns, but what about different tones and timbre? Well, among the basic waves that are used to sculpt the sounds created by synthesizers there are a few easily visible waves, such as the square, triangle, and sawtooth.


Each of these waves has it's own unique characteristic. As you can see in the above video, sound affects shape. Different voices and instruments interact with our thought waves in either harmonious or dissonant ways. The way that you speak changes how your words are interpreted or understood; that's called tone. But still, there's more to it.

Words are incredibly powerful. What you say can affect other people in such drastic ways as to cause pain, comfort, encouragement, or dejection. Life and death in the power of the tongue, as they say. We have a relationship not just to words, but to the consonants and vowels themselves that we are mostly unaware of.

When picking a name for a band musicians will go over countless names to get the right word, generally unaware of their own understanding of the sonic sequence of letters. They usually focus simply on the meaning of the word(s).

However, there are some distinct characteristics that have noticeable sonic influence. For example, the sound of the letter "K". It has a biting hardness to it. As in king or kill, or even tank. You can see it in words that we spell with a C, such as combat  or controversy. The sonic makeup of this sound has a particular character. Another good example is the sound of the letter A. When we start to think something through we naturally start with this. We think, uh..ah... (and then aha! or ah!) It is a natural leaning for us to go to when thinking. I wonder, is it the same in all languages?  (Maybe you, dear reader, have some insight into that one?)

This brings up a couple interesting questions:
1) Are our characters pre-determined for us by our names?
2) What does that say about the sonic power of different languages and tongues?

What I am proposing is that the timbre and caricature of the letters and vocal sounds that come out of our mouths have an impact on our heart and minds that goes beyond frequency. I'm proposing that the words used to describe you, your world, and all that is in it have significance that exceeds our grasp of reality. With that being said, I believe that your name, and the simple act of it being said to you, being used to describe you, and being attributed to you - shapes you in ways that we don't yet understand.

All of this doesn't even touch on the history of different words, where they come from, what they've meant to different cultures and languages, or any of that. That subject is a whole other essay which is admittedly far out of my grasp and knowledge, not to mention my time and studies.

Suffice it to say, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can cut or create me."

Comments

Post a Comment